"There is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah"
2 Nephi 2:8 (The Book of Mormon)

Saturday, December 25, 2010

What Shall We Give To The Babe In The Manger?

 As risen Lord, the Savior invites:
And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me 
a broken heart and a contrite spirit.
3Nephi 9:20

 A "broken heart" implies one that is open
ready to receive the Savior's healing grace.

A "contrite spirit" is one which recognizes it's reliance on the Divine and  
submits to the will of the Father because of trust and love.

Today Lord, I open my heart to thee.  
I ask thee to please fill it with thy love and goodness. 

Alice Gray tells the story of a young girl who fell in love with a strand of pearls at a five and dime store.  The price tag of approximately $2.00 was more than she had to give.  Her mom assured her that if she would do some extra chores and use the birthday money she would receive the following week, that she would have enough money to purchase her precious pearls.  Jenni did her part and was elated when the day finally arrived for her trip to the store.  She and her mom cheerfully left with with her new treasure.  

Jenni loved her pearls.  She wore them everywhere, except in the bath because her mom warned that they might turn her neck green.

Jenni had a very loving daddy and every night when she was ready for bed, he would stop whatever he was doing and come upstairs to read her a story.  One night when he finished the story, he asked Jenni, 
"Do you love me?"
"Oh yes, Daddy.  You know that I love you."
"Then give me your pearls."
"Oh Daddy, not my pearls.  But you can have Princess--- the white horse from my collection.  The one with the pink tail.  Remember, Daddy?  The one you gave me.  She's my favorite."
"That's okay, Honey.  Daddy loves you.  Good night."  And he brushed her cheek with a kiss.

About a week later, after the story time, Jenni's daddy asked again,
"Do you love me?"
"Daddy, you know that I love you."
"Then give me your pearls."
"Oh Daddy, not my pearls.  But you can have my baby doll.  The brand new one I got for my birthday.  She is so beautiful and you can have the yellow blanket that matches her sleeper."
"That's okay.  Sleep well.  God bless you, little one.  Daddy loves you."  
And as always, he brushed her cheek with a gentle kiss.

A few nights later when her daddy came in, Jenni was sitting on her bed with her legs crossed Indian-style.  As he came close, he noticed her chin was trembling and one silent tear rolled down her cheek.
"What is it, Jenni?  What's the matter?"
Jenni didn't say anything but lifted her little hand up to her daddy. 
And when she opened it, there was her little pearl necklace. 
With a little quiver, she finally said, 
"Here Daddy.  It's for you."

With tears gathering in his own eyes, Jenni's kind daddy reached out with one hand to take the dime-store necklace, and with the other hand he reached into his pocket and pulled out a blue velvet case with a strand of genuine pearls and gave them to Jenni.  He had had them all the time He was just waiting for her to give up the dime-store strand so he could give her genuine treasure.

Help me Father, to identify the counterfeit treasures I am holding onto.  
Bless me with the faith and strength to let go 
so that I can receive thy abundance!

1 comment: