"There is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah"
2 Nephi 2:8 (The Book of Mormon)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

I Am The Truth...

All week long I have been seeking to know God's will for this blog.  I have prayed much, listened and pondered much, and today fasted for guidance to know what it is that He would have me write here.  I am grateful for the direction He has given... and here it is!  This year, we will study together, the life of the Savior using the New Testament as our primary source.  I am thrilled for the opportunity to come to know Him better with you... my friends.  Before we get started though, I want to share with you a foundational truth God reinforced in my heart today.
 
In Moroni 10:5, we are taught
By the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.


This morning before leaving for church, I sat down with my babes for a brief moment in the scriptures.  I read the above scripture and shared my testimony of the essential nature of having the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost.  He is the direct line to the Father and His Son.  If I want to have God's will made manifest in my life, qualifying for the Spirit and heeding the promptings He will send are prerequisite.  With that, we had our family prayer and were off to church.

As the sacrament was being administered, I sat in quiet reflection and prayer.  The following declaration by Christ was called into my mind. 
I am the Way, the truth, and the life:  no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:6 
 I love the new layers of depth and meaning which unfold within the scriptures as I search them through out my days.  Constantly, God illuminates my mind with fresh understanding of passages of scripture I have read repeatedly over time.  Today.. a new layer of this verse was opened up to me.  

Christ is the Way.  He is the means through which salvation can be obtained.  In addition, His life serves as a pattern, or way, for us to live our lives.  

He is the truth.  Truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were and as they are to come. (D&C 93:24) Truth is the light of Christ.  He is the source of all truth, which is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Christ is the life.  Not only is Christ our literal Creator, the giver of life... He is the only means through which we can obtain life eternal. 

Here is the new light the Spirit shed on my mind today.  One of the titles Christ establishes for himself is "the Truth".  Not only does all truth originate in Him but He literally is truthIt is by the power of the Holy Ghost that we come to know "truth" or to know Christ.  This means that if I want to know my Savior better... I must be sure that the mode through which I can know Him is fully functional in my life.  The mode which God has given is the Holy Ghost.  

I have come to know, with deep conviction, that the absolute, number one priority in my day to day endeavors must be qualifying for the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  EVERYTHING else which I do, is secondary to this most important task.  I can only become the woman that God wants me to be if I am receiving His guidance through the Spirit.  I can only become the wife and mother that He sent me here to be... if I heed His promptings as to how I can best support, lead and guide my babes home to Him.  I can only become the sister and friend He knows I can be as I receive His love and grace through the companionship of the Holy Ghost and in turn extend it to all with whom I associate.  I can only come to my Father through my Savior, and I can only come to know my Savior through the Holy Ghost.  

I invite you to consider ways which you can more fully access the power of the Holy Ghost in your life.  Some of the barriers to His full companionship I have identified in my own life are...
impatience, anger, critical thinking, and dishonesty.
Note how each of these can be both with myself and others.

Some of the helpful aids I have found in qualifying for His companionship are...
morning prayer and scripture study, (this sets the tone for my day)
quiet time to commune with Him which requires not only quieting external, but also internal noise.
(this is frequently done as I go about my daily responsibilities)
obedience to the promptings I receive.

Lord, I want to know thee better.  Today I ask thee to please illuminate my mind with the changes thou would have me make so that I can more fully qualify for the Holy Ghost.  Help me to move forward in thy strength and confidence.

3 comments:

  1. Be still....and know that I am God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carey, that is just beautiful. I love the truth that you have spoken of. It has me contemplating. I do struggle with this thought of qualifying for His companionship. As I study the scriptures I find that God will freely give His Spirit to those that ask, and perhaps asking or desiring is the only qualification needed. Luke 11:13 "If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Just a thought! Thank you for sharing your heart and journey with God with me! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe God is always mindful of each and every child. He gives generously to me in spite of my shortcomings and imperfections. However, God may knock and at times, he may knock loudly to get our attention, but he will not force himself upon us. It is up to us to receive (or as the scriptures say "open"). When we refuse to follow his council, we literally refuse to receive. I strive each day to be open and ready however I do sometimes get in the way of myself with my laziness or stubbornness or self will. Thankfully God is faithful and never gives up on me. His love and guidance have seen me through incredible challenges and I trust!

    ReplyDelete