"There is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah"
2 Nephi 2:8 (The Book of Mormon)

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Eternities

I want to use today's post to respond to a question my cousin asked after reading the post "Our Father's Love" earlier this week.  She wrote...  

What do you mean by the word eternities? I know we have talked about having a different "language" within our different belief system. I was just wondering about your definition of this word. Thanks for your love and patience with me! Hugs, Erin

Thank you... thank you... THANK YOU Erin for your love and interest!  It touches my heart deeply that you would take the time to first of all read my blog and secondly engage in discussion about it! Historically, I have taken inquiries about my blog and have either written a personal email or had a phone conversation answering the question.  The spirit quickly directed me this time towards a written post.  One of my main goals with this blog is to open up discussion on the Savior and His gospel.  I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to share a little of my heart with you about the Savior and today, specifically, concerning the eternities.  The question becomes... how in depth shall we go???  This post will give a basic overview of my belief as a Latter day Saint on the subject of eternal life.  I am always excited to go deeper if you would like.  Let me know!

The use of the word "eternities" as opposed to "eternity" in my mind simply emphasizes the infinite nature of time.  Everlasting to everlasting is a common phrase found in the scriptures illustrating this concept.  The present moment we are in lies smack in the middle of the eternities...infinite time before now and infinite time to come.  This life is merely a blip on the eternal timeline.  Each of us are here to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling before God. (see Philipians 2:12 & Mormon 9:27)   We "are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil". (see 2Nephi 2:27-30)  The Father's ultimate goal is to make us joint-heirs with Christ, crowning us with His eternal glory. (see Romans 8:16-17)  I love the following words of Peter, which sum all of this up beautifully.  
   
5-... be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
6- Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time:
10-  But the God of all grace who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
1 Peter 5

Mormons interpret this doctrine literally.  Ask yourself, 

"What is it that Christ has inherited and as a joint-heir with Him... what does that mean I will inherit?"

"What is the eternal glory of the Father that each of us are called to?"

Because of Christ's atoning sacrifice I can be made whole and become perfected like unto my Father.  Through the merits of He who is mighty to save, I can return to live with God my Father and pattern my eternity after His eternity... receiving His eternal glory.  I marvel at His love and goodness... His grace and mercy.  His generosity and vision for my life never cease to fill me with awe.  I truly am one who stands ALL amazed!

3 comments:

  1. Carey, thank you for such attention! I'm always most thankful that you are very lovingly open to conversation and questions. I understand your answer to mean that eternities to you means all time, past, present, future unto eternity. The 2 questions I'm left with are Where in the Bible does it say we are a joint-heir with Jesus and will get His inheritance? I find many verses that speak of our eternal inheritance, but none saying we get Jesus' inheritance. #2 is You said,"That I might be made whole and return to live with Him in the eternities." I'm still confused because your phrasing doesn't sound like you mean now. Can you just use this word to mean any tense Of time (ie present tense)? Thanks again! I love your heart and love of God! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
    17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
    18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
    #2 The process of being made whole through the Atonement of Christ IS a current process I am in. As I take His name upon me... seek His grace and healing... and strive to be more devout in my disciplship... I DO receive His healing and mercy. I experience this constantly... and expect to one day become whole and perfect. When I used the word eternities... I was truly referencing a future point after this life... simply emphasizing it's infinite nature by using the plural. But... now that you mention it... it totally does apply to the process I am in right now! Erin... this is part of why I adore you the way that I do. You really help me to examine my belief, and words that I think that I have thought about before using them... but then... through you... realize that I have more thinking to do :) Thank you... seriously! Does that help and clarify??? I hope you know how much I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I appreciate you pointing out that scripture in Romans. My search on the word heir was not turning up what I wanted. I too look forward with great anticipation to someday being made whole and without flaw and just to be at God's feet! Just the thought of praising Him in person makes me feel overwhelmed with joy! Keep persuing Him with all your might! Love you! 

    ReplyDelete