"There is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah"
2 Nephi 2:8 (The Book of Mormon)

Monday, April 18, 2011

Whom Say Ye That I Am?

15- ... Whom say ye that I am?
16- And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17- And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 16


At this point in Christ's ministry, Peter had been both witness and participant in numerous miracles performed by the Savior.  He had been on the boat in the tempestuous sea, when Christ spoke the words, "Peace be still!"  He was present when the Savior commanded power over death itself, raising Jairus's daughter.  He watched as the Savior turned a simple offering into enough to feed thousands.  Under the Savior's direction, he distributed the loaves and fishes and then collected the remains filling twelve baskets to overflowing.  After a long night being tossed about on the sea, he beheld the Savior walking on the water and  petitioned Christ to bid him to come unto Him.  The Savior's response, "Come", beckoned Peter out of the ship and into the water.  He felt the firm foundation beneath his feet until his focus shifted away from the Savior and onto the storm around him.  As he began to sink, he cried out. Immediately, he felt the Savior's strong, unwavering hand take hold of his delivering him from the awful deep.

This is the man of whom the Savior inquired, "Whom say ye that I am?"  When Peter responded, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.", Jesus taught both those present, as well as you and I, a priceless lesson.  Though Peter had first hand knowledge of the Savior's power... his testimony and witness of who Jesus was did not come as a result of those experiences.  Thousands who also beheld some of the same miracles turned and walked away from Him!  Peter's conviction was a direct result of personal revelation, given by the Father, through the Holy Ghost.

It is my testimony that the Holy Ghost is still the means through which the Father reveals  His Son unto us.  I am grateful for the privilege to study out the scriptures... to witness for myself, the miraculous walk of the Savior, Jesus Christ.  I am touched beyond measure, by my Father's delight in blessing me with further light and understanding... with deeper conviction of His love and desire for me.  I count the "hope in Christ" that this fills me with as one of my most treasured possessions.  It is my greatest goal, to live worthy of the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost!

1 comment:

  1. The witness of the Holy Ghost, for those willing to receive it, changes everything. It is what allows our eyes to see, our ears to hear, and hearts to feel, it even makes it possible for us to know for ourselves that we are the children of a loving Father, and that His Son Jesus is, indeed, our personal Savior. I love the fact that God is willing to have a personal and intimate relationship with each child . . . with me. Indeed, both the Father and the Son are our very best Friends!

    ReplyDelete